Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tuesday at Overbrook


Today was day two working with Overbrook High. Since the first day, I was told that this school was “not-so-good” and I believed in the overall assumption. But the more I invested my time in the school, I learned that, it’s not the school that is negative, it’s the bureaucracy. Much goes into a school to make it negative. The school district, for one, does not provide  much money for schools. There are less teachers, counselors, security guards, and assistant principals. Two, the school does not have updated and enough textbooks for all students. Three, the students do not feel that the teachers or staff in the school care about them. These are just a few things that I have understood that makes a school feel negative, when in reality, it’s more than just the school district and its problems. I am glad to be a part of this ASB program and learn more about how I can impact a community by experiencing something like this.

-Funke

No comments:

Post a Comment