Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 3 at Overbrook


Wednesday, March 19th 2014 was our third day at Overbrook High School.  I did not go to high school in America so I did not know what to expect going into Overbrook High. On the first day we came here (Sunday) Mr. Nas gave us a brief history of the school and prepared us for what to expect in the coming week. We had a PSA project to work on so on this day (Wednesday) we made our videos for the PSA. We got into our three groups and worked on our videos. My group worked on a video that highlighted the students’ positive perceptions of the school. It was a fun and interesting experience to video the students and hear the positive things that they had to say about their school because I have almost always heard them talk negatively about their school. My group was successful with the video and that was amazing. In the earlier part of the day, I worked with a teacher and I had the wonderful experience of talking to the students about my college experience. It was  such a pleasure for me to share my experiences before college and currently as a college student. The students asked insightful questions and I saw a ray of hope because they had the passion to go to college and succeed.
Overall, I have come to a realization that most of the students are misguided and have an inner d rive to go to college and succeed. But I feel like their circumstances tend to hinder this drive. I have really enjoyed this experience and I am grateful to be part of this amazing AB team. My team members are awesome and I have made lifelong memories here. There could have been no better way to spend my Spring Break.

-Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment